Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St. Mary Marshwood

This interesting Victorian church sitting on an exposed hilltop site next to a primary school was originally built in 1841, but re-modelled, apart from the tower, in 1884 to a design by G. Vialls.

Inside, the building is simple with the chancel arch just suggested by Purbeck marble columns, but it does have a south side aisle.  The chancel pews and red wall lamps were designed by Thomas Hardy, the celebrated novelist.  The church silver was given to the cathedral at Juba in the Sudan.

Most impressively, when this contributor visited in March 1995 the offertory box had been wrenched out of the wall, but still the church was open for visitors - surely an example for others.

 

 

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

Grant date Reason Amount Extra amount Extra reason
01/10/17 12:00 amFurther help for repairs to windows£1,000

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St. MaryMarshwoodDT6 5QA0
St StephenBettiscombeDT6 5NT1
St. JohnFishpondDT6 6NN1
St MaryPilsdonDT6 5NZ2
Holy TrinityBlackdownDT8 3LE2
St. Mary the VirginThorncombeTA20 4NF2
St Candida and Holy CrossWhitchurch CanonicorumDT6 6RQ2
St. AndrewBurstockDT8 3LJ3
St. MaryCatherston LewestonDT6 6LZ3
St. AndrewMonkton WyldDT6 6DA3
Forde AbbeyChardTA20 4LU4
The Navity of John the BaptistBroadwindsorDT8 3QE4
St. AndrewCharmouthDT6 6LN4
St. MaryDrimptonDT8 3RE4
St. PaulBroadoakDT6 5PY4
Queen of Martyrs & St Ignatius' ChurchChideockDT6 6LF4
St MaryStoke AbbottDT8 3JT4
St GabrielStanton St. GabrielDT6 6EP5
Holy TrinitySalway AshDT6 5JE5
St. GilesChideockDT6 6LE5
Old Link