Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St. Swithun Bridport, Allington  

Towards the western end of Bridport lies the suburb of Allington, notable because of its proximity to what was the Gundry Rope Works, once the town's principal employer. The older houses, arranged mainly along the north/south road, were built to accommodate the artisans. The church of St Swithun, which is set dramatically back at the southern end of this narrow road, is an unexpected surprise. The brilliant white rendered building is by any standard magnificent with an impressive portico supported on four Tuscan columns with a circular cupula above and described by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner as having "a delightful front." This is the work of Charles Wallis in 1826-7. Internally, the building is rectangular with a flat white ceiling. Nevertheless, on entry the eye is naturally drawn forward to the large and very striking crucifix that hangs above the central altar. Either side are chapel altars and, being a high church, facilities for reserving the sacrament. There is a gallery at the rear which stretches across the entire width of the building and supports the splendid organ.   The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St. SwithunBridport, AllingtonDT6 5DU0
St SwithunDorsetDT6 5DU 0
Unitarian Chapel in the Garden BridportDT6 3JX0
St.MaryBridportDT6 3NN0
St. SaviourDotteryDT6 3NN0
Holy Trinity BothenhamptonDT6 4BH1
St. John the BaptistSymondsburyDT6 6HB1
Old Church CCTBothenhamptonDT6 4BP1
St Mary WalditchDT6 4LB1
Holy TrinityBradpoleDT6 3EP1
St. John West BayDT6 4EU2
St. Mary MagdaleneLodersDT6 3RZ2
St. PaulBroadoakDT6 5PY2
St. GilesChideockDT6 6LE2
St. MartinShipton GorgeDT6 4LZ2
MethodistUplodersDT6 4NS3
Our Lady Queen of Martyrs & St IgnatiusChideockDT6 6LF3
Holy TrinitySalway AshDT6 5JE3
Methodist ChapelBridportDT6 4NT3
St. MaryBurton BradstockDT6 4QY3
Old Link