Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 2) stands 50 yards E. of the house. The walls are of local coursed rubble with dressings of Ham Hill stone; the roofs are covered with lead. The church, including the Chancel, Central Tower, Transepts and Nave, was built about the middle of the 15th century. In 1874 the former W. porch was destroyed and the nave extended to the W.; the church was restored in 1878.
The church is of some architectural interest and the monuments and 15th-century helm are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The details, unless otherwise stated, are of mid 15th-century date. All the walls are embattled and have modern figures of animals on the angles. The Chancel (21 ft. by 18¼ ft.) has an E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals and label with returned stops. The N. and S. walls have each two windows of two cinque-foiled lights in square heads with moulded reveals and labels; they are modern internally.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|St. Mary||Melbury Sampford||DT2 0LF||0|
|St. Edwold||Stockwood||DT2 0NG||1|
|St Osmond||Evershot||DT2 0JW||1|
|St. Osmond||Melbury Osmond||DT2 0LZ||1|
|St Mary the Virgin||Melbury Bubb||DT2 0NQ||1|
|St. James||East Chelborough/Lewcombe||DT2 0QB||1|
|St. Peter||Chetnole||DT9 6NZ||2|
|St. Andrew||West Chelborough||DT2 0PY||2|
|St. Mary||Batcombe||DT2 7BG||2|
|St Michael & All Angels||Rampisham||DT2 0PT||3|
|St. Quintin||Frome Saint Quintin||DT2 0HF||3|
|St. Mary||Halstock||BA22 9SG||3|
|St Andrew||Leigh||DT9 6HL||3|
|St. Hippolytus||Ryme Intrinseca||DT9 6JX||3|
|St Andrews||Yetminster||DT9 6LG||3|
|St. Mary||Corscombe||DT2 0NU||3|
|St Nicholas||Hillfield||DT2 7BA||4|
|St. George||Beer Hackett||DT9 6RA||4|
|St. Michael||Beer Hackett||DT9 6QT||4|
|St Peter and St Paul||Cattistock||DT2 0JG||4|