There has certainly been a church on this site since the 13th century (maybe earlier) and, being alongside the busy main road, it must have seen many changes from the stage coach to the roar of almost continuous modern traffic. Yet this building really is a delightful sanctuary from the rigors of modern life.
The nave is C13 and the north transept C14. The building had to wait until C15 to receive a south aisle, the tower, the porch and the Arundell chapel for the Lords of the Manor. The 1883 chancel and nave north windows arrived to a design by G.R.Crickmay of Weymouth. The perpendicular font 14 or C15 has a flat bowl and a simple more recent cover. The attractive organ appeared in 1892 and was originally placed in the Arundell chapel, effectively obscuring it. However, in 1969 the instrument was moved to its present position.
The ornate cross, displayed in the chancel and shown right, came from Palestine where it was damaged when used by Christians to separate Jews and Palestinians.
Detail of the black marble monument in the south aisle thought to be Sir John Chideock dressed in typical Henry VIII armour.
This is a beautiful little church, well worth visiting.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|Grant date||Reason||Amount||Extra amount||Extra reason|
|01/10/17 12:00 am||Towards installation of facilities||£12,000|
|St. Giles||Chideock||DT6 6LE||0|
|Queen of Martyrs & St Ignatius' Church||Chideock||DT6 6LF||1|
|St Gabriel||Stanton St. Gabriel||DT6 6EP||1|
|St. John the Baptist||Symondsbury||DT6 6HB||2|
|St. Paul||Broadoak||DT6 5PY||2|
|St Candida and Holy Cross||Whitchurch Canonicorum||DT6 6RQ||2|
|St. Swithun||Bridport||DT6 5DU||2|
|St. Saviour||Dottery||DT6 3NN||3|
|St.Mary's Church||Bridport||DT6 3NN||3|
|St. John the Evangelist||West Bay||DT6 4EU||3|
|Holy Trinity New||Bothenhampton||DT6 4BH||3|
|Old Church||Bothenhampton||DT6 4BP||3|
|St. Mary||Catherston Leweston||DT6 6LZ||4|
|St. Andrew||Charmouth||DT6 6LN||4|
|Holy Trinity||Salway Ash||DT6 5JE||4|
|St. Mary the Virgin||Walditch||DT6 4LB||4|
|Holy Trinity||Bradpole||DT6 3EP||4|
|St Mary||Pilsdon||DT6 5NZ||4|
|St. Mary Magdalene||Loders||DT6 3RZ||4|
|St Stephen||Bettiscombe||DT6 5NT||5|