This must be one of the most beautiful settings for a country church. It overlooks a delightful suite of buildings by a large pond.
It is said to be the third church on the site and this one is mainly of C15 with an imposing very upright tower. Inside, the wagon roof is delightful and the church is nicely fitted. There is some painted stained glass in the upper part of the east window and the pulpit of 1784 by a local craftsman is interesting. According to the church guide, the lectern made by a former churchwarden includes oak taken from the Emperor Hadrian's bridge at Newcastle-on-Tyne and there is a suggestion that this wood was probably growing at the time of Our Lord. The Mother's Union Banner in the Chancel was made from brocade used in Westminster Abbey for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The gold braid on the hangings behind the altar were used at the Coronation of George VI.
The Chancel was restored in 1892 and 1932.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges text by Robin Adeney and Drone Photgraph by Richard Noble © DHCT 2018
|St. Mary & St. James||Hazelbury Bryan||DT10 2ED||0|
|St. Peter and St. Paul||Mappowder||DT10 2EH||2|
|All Saints||Fifehead Neville||DT10 2AL||2|
|St Thomas Becket||Pulham||DT2 7EA||2|
|St. Aldhelm||Belchalwell||DT11 0EH||3|
|St. Eustace||Ibberton||DT11 0EN||3|
|St Thomas a Beckett||Lydlinch||DT10 2JA||3|
|St Barnabas||Stock Gaylard||DT10 2BG||3|
|St Andrew||Okeford Fitzpaine||DT11 0RD||4|
|St. Andrew||Binghams Melcombe||DT2 7PZ||4|
|St. Mary||Sturminster Newton||DT10 1DE||4|
|St. Mary||Turnworth||DT11 0EE||4|
|St Catherine's Chapel||Milton Abbas||DT11 0BZ||4|
|The Holy Rood||Buckland Newton||DT2 7BX||4|
|St. Mary the Virgin||Glanvilles Wootton||DT9 5QE||5|
|Milton Abbey||Milton Abbas||DT11 0BZ||5|
|Church||Bishop's Caundle||DT9 5NL||5|
|Holy Rood||Shillingstone||DT11 0SL||5|