The church stands very upright at the top of rising ground, which invests it with a slightly surreal feeling as you approach up the path from the road. The tower is tall and so is the nave, tending to accentuate the air of loftiness.
It was rebuilt in 1873 by Joseph Seller, who was then eighty years old. With its height and clerestory, the building is well lit and gives the impression of spaciousness. Interestingly, there is a curtain that can be used to screen off the chancel; no doubt to conserve heat for evensong in the winter. Of great interest is the figure of a knight, kneeling on one knee, attached to the north wall of the tower arch. This is Thomas Earle (1597), who once owned Charborough Park, according to Nikolaus Pevsner, in the act, not of prayer, but in homage.
There is an ancient font and outside in place of regular gargoyles, there are some rather nice bear-like creatures.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|St Mary||Morden||BH20 7DW||0|
|St Mary the Virgin||Lytchett Matravers||BH16 6BS||1|
|St Mary's||Winterborne Zelston||DT11 9EU||2|
|St Mary||Almer||DT11 9EN||2|
|St. Andrew||Bloxworth||BH20 7EG||2|
|Church||Lytchett Minster||BH16 6JE||3|
|St. Martin||Wareham||BH20 4HE||4|
|St. Nicholas||Winterborne Kingston||DT11 9BJ||4|
|St. Mary||Sturminster Marshall||BH21 4BU||4|
|St Bartholomew||Shapwick||DT11 9LA||4|
|St. Hubert||Corfe Mullen||BH21 3RQ||4|
|St. John the Baptist||Bere Regis||BH20 7HQ||4|
|Saint John the Baptist||Spetisbury||DT11 9DF||5|
|St Mary's||Tarrant Crawford||DT11 9HU||5|
|Lady St.Mary||Wareham||BH20 4ND||5|
|All Saints||Tarrant Keynston||DT11 9JB||5|
|St. Mary the Virgin||Charlton Marshall||DT11 9PJ||5|
|St. Stephen||Kingston Lacy||BH21 4ED||6|
|St. Stephen||Pamphill (Kingston Lacey)||BH21 4ED||6|