This fabulously interesting church, situated in a very rural setting, almost certainly has its roots as early as the Saxon period (600-1066). However, it was not until 1261 that the first Rector was recorded. As with so many churches, throughout the ages the building has been modified to suit the ebb and flow of parishioners and the changing religious requirements.
The nave, chancel and sanctuary are medieval 14c covered by a 17c wagon roof, now with the timbers exposed. The tower is also 14c, although the west window is of 1892 by Kempe. The Purbeck stone font dates originally from 13c, but was probably re-cut in 15c. The rest of the church belongs to a Victorian restoration of 1896, which was absolutely essential because the church had been allowed to become badly dilapidated. Apart from reversing the decay and enlarging the building, the design by Romaine Walker & Tanner incorporated a new north aisle, organ chamber and porch. The opportunity was taken to remove galleries on the south side and across the tower that had been installed in 1812.
In the sanctuary there is a delightful sedila with a list of rectors inside. The oak communion table with turned legs is from the 17c. The 15c east window features Christ's Crucifixion. In the chancel, notice the 12 stone corbels, which look more like gargoyles, but are supposed to remind one "..we wrestle not against the flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world.." (Ephesians 6 verse 12) The stone pulpit is of 1872. There is an excellent hatchment of 1803 with the arms of the Greathead family. This would have hung outside the home of the deceased for some time before being brought into the church.
There is one of the best guides in the county available for this church.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|All Saints||Hampreston||BH21 7LX||0|
|Parish Church||Canford Magna||BH21 3AF||1|
|All Saints||West Parley||BH22 8TS||2|
|St. Michael and All Angels||Colehill||BH21 2RY||2|
|St. John||Wimborne Newborough||BH21 1AE||2|
|St. James||Holt||BH21 7BJ||3|
|Minster Church of St Cuthberga||Wimborne||BH21 1DZ||3|
|St Clement||Parkstone||BH15 3PE||4|
|St Aldhelm||Poole||BH13 6BT||4|
|St. Stephen||Kingston Lacy||BH21 4ED||4|
|St. Stephen||Pamphill (Kingston Lacey)||BH21 4ED||4|
|St Dunstan of Canterbury||Poole||BH14 9JG||4|
|St. Hubert||Corfe Mullen||BH21 3RQ||5|
|St John the Evangelist||Hinton Martell||BH21 7HE||5|
|All Saints||Chalbury||BH21 7EY||6|
|St. Wolfrida||Horton||BH21 7JA||6|
|All Saints||Poole||BH13 7NP||6|
|Church of the Transfiguration||Canford Cliffs||BH13 7PF||6|
|St. Mary||Sturminster Marshall||BH21 4BU||6|
|St. Michael and All Angels||Verwood||BH31 6DZ||7|