Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St. Cuthbert Old Chancel Oborne

This little building, now redundant, sits on a site beside a busy road that has been occupied by a church since 970 AD.  There is no trace of the original building that would have been served by monks from nearby Sherborne Abbey.

The present building dates from 1533, of which only the chancel remains.

As was so often the case, the building had been allowed to decay badly and by 1860 the advice was to abandon it and build something else on an entirely new site half a mile away to the north.  And so the old church was demolished leaving just the chancel standing for the next 70 years. (see Oborne New Church)

In the 1930s it was restored with the help of the architect A W Powys.  There is an excellent 16c barrel roof and a pulpit dated 1639.  The Communion rails are described as ‘good examples of 17c rustic workmanship’.  The 15c octagonal font came from the now vanished church of North Wooton.

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St. Cuthbert Old ChancelOborneDT9 4JY0
St. CuthbertSherborneDT9 4JY0
The Blessed Virgin MarySherborneDT9 3BP1
All SaintsPoyntingtonDT9 4LF1
St. PeterGoathillDT9 5JD1
St. CatherineHaydonDT9 5JB2
St. PeterPurse CaundleDT9 5DY3
St. NicholasSandford OrcasDT9 4SB3
St. LawrenceFolkeDT9 5HP3
St. BartholomewCorton DenhamDT9 4LR3
St. JamesLongburtonDT9 5PF3
St. Peter and St. PaulCaundle MarshDT9 5LX3
St. NicholasNether ComptonDT9 4QA3
St Martin of ToursLillingtonDT9 6QX4
St. MichaelOver ComptonDT9 4QU4
ChurchBishop's CaundleDT9 5NL4
St. AndrewTrentDT9 4SL4
St.PeterStourton CaundleDT10 2QH4
St. Mary MagdaleneThornfordDT9 6QF4
St. Mary the VirginBradford AbbasDT9 6SP5
Old Link