As with so many Dorset churches, this is another example of Victorian rebuilding of an earlier building. All that remains is the brown heathstone C15 tower to which the architect, John Tulloch of Wimborne, grafted on a new buff coloured brick church in 1833-4.
In the porch, before entering the building, one is struck by a most unusual, but beautiful memorial to Captain James Lees, of the Special Boat Service who died of wounds in 1945. Inside, the large space is lit by generous windows that allow light to flood in and which Sir Nikolaus Pevsner thought might once have been decorated with 'Y' tracery. The chancel is quite shallow and there is gallery at the rear which supports the organ and that extends the entire width of the building. Presumably the lead lined font came from the original church.
The east window glass is impressive and a memorial window to Sir Thomas Lees who died aged 29 in 1915 at Suvla Bay, Galpoli is very moving.
Other churches by John Tulloch in Dorset. St James, Holt (brickwork) 1834-6 : St Peter, Parkstone Chapel1833-4
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|Church||Lytchett Minster||BH16 6JE||0|
|St Mary the Virgin||Lytchett Matravers||BH16 6BS||2|
|St. Martin||Wareham||BH20 4HE||3|
|St Mary||Morden||BH20 7DW||3|
|St. Hubert||Corfe Mullen||BH21 3RQ||3|
|Lady St.Mary||Wareham||BH20 4ND||4|
|St Clements - under construction||Poole||BH15 3PH||5|
|St. Mary||Sturminster Marshall||BH21 4BU||5|
|St Mary||Almer||DT11 9EN||5|
|St Mary's||Winterborne Zelston||DT11 9EU||5|
|St. Andrew||Bloxworth||BH20 7EG||5|
|St. Stephen||Kingston Lacy||BH21 4ED||5|
|St Dunstan of Canterbury||Poole||BH14 9JG||5|
|St. Stephen||Pamphill (Kingston Lacey)||BH21 4ED||5|
|St.Mary||Brownsea (Poole Harbour)||BH13 7EE||5|
|St. Johns||Wimborne||BH21 1AE||5|
|St Bartholomew||Shapwick||DT11 9LA||6|
|Church||Canford Magna||BH21 3AF||6|