The church of St. Mary is perched high up above the bulk of the village and adjacent to a delightful old rectory with a magnificent magnolia tree in the garden. It is an awkward building to photograph because of the difficulty in getting sufficiently far away for a proper perspective and the need for a wide angle lens - in reality the tower does not lean!
The origins of the church are certainly Norman and maybe earlier. There are sections of the nave and the porch which are 14c and the tower is late 14 or early 15c. The chancel arch is of the same date; note the blocked-up hagioscopes (or squints) on both sides, which would once have given a view of the altar from the side chapels. In 1878 the building was radically restored and a north chapel added. The altar came from Balliol College, Oxford, and the bowl of the font is thought to be Norman, although the base is modern. The barrel roof of the chancel is most attractive and there are some interesting oil lamps.
At the rear of the building is a delightful children's corner.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges text by Robin Adeney and Drone Photograph by Richard Noble DHCT© 2018
|St. Mary||Litton Cheney||DT2 9AQ||0|
|St. Peter||Long Bredy||DT2 9HU||1|
|St. Mary the Blessed Virgin||Puncknowle||DT2 9BP||2|
|St. Michael and All Angels||Askerswell||DT2 9EJ||2|
|Holy Trinity||Swyre||DT2 9DN||2|
|St. Michael & All Angels||Littlebredy||DT2 9HG||2|
|St. Thomas of Canterbury||Compton Valence||DT2 9ER||3|
|St. Martin||Shipton Gorge||DT6 4LZ||3|
|Methodist Chapel||Bridport||DT6 4NT||4|
|St. Nicholas Parish Church||Abbotsbury||DT3 4JJ||4|
|St Catherine's Chapel||Abbotsbury||DT3 4JJ||4|
|St. Mary||Burton Bradstock||DT6 4QY||4|
|St. Mary the Virgin||Powerstock||DT6 3TF||4|
|St. Mary||Winterbourne Abbas||DT2 9LW||4|
|St. Basil||Toller Fratrum||DT2 0EW||4|
|St. Mary Magdalene||Loders||DT6 3RZ||4|
|St. Peter||Portesham||DT3 4HP||4|
|St. Andrew & St. Peter||Toller Porcorum||DT2 0DT||5|
|St. Mary the Virgin||Walditch||DT6 4LB||5|