The church rests on raised ground slightly above the rest of this big village, but well below the ramparts of Hambledon Hill.
It has a powerful C15 greensand tower, but the rest is a Victorian restoration of 1850 and another by T.H.Wyatt of 1878-9. The slightly garish chancel was refitted with marble facing to the walls and gold mosaic on the reredos by Wippell & Co in 1911. The organ in the chancel was built to a specification of Sir Arthur Sullivan (Gilbert & Sullivan) who stayed in the village.
An interesting church well worth a visit.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|St. Nicholas||Child Okeford||DT11 8ED||0|
|Holy Rood||Shillingstone||DT11 0SL||1|
|St. Mary||Iwerne Courtney||DT11 8PU||2|
|St. Mary||Shroton||DT11 8PU||2|
|St. Paul||Hammoon||DT10 2DB||2|
|St Andrew||Okeford Fitzpaine||DT11 0RD||2|
|St. Mary||Iwerne Minster||DT11 8LS||2|
|St. Thomas||East Orchard||SP7 0LJ||2|
|St Luke||West Orchard||SP7 0LJ||2|
|St Bartholomew||Sutton Waldron||DT11 8PB||2|
|Holy Trinity||Stourpaine||DT11 8TQ||3|
|St. Nicholas||Durweston||DT11 0QA||3|
|St. Mary||Sturminster Newton||DT10 1DE||3|
|St Andrew's||Fontmell Magna||SP7 0NY||3|
|St. Aldhelm||Belchalwell||DT11 0EH||3|
|St. Mary||Turnworth||DT11 0EE||3|
|St. Peter||Hinton St. Mary||DT10 1NA||4|
|Margaret Marsh||Margaret Marsh||SP7 0AZ||4|
|St. Eustace||Ibberton||DT11 0EN||4|
|St Mary the Virgin||Compton Abbas||SP7 0NL||4|