This is a fairly typical Victorian estate church, built entirely at the expense of Sir Richard Glyn who lived nearby in Gaunts House. Stanbridge itself is a minute hamlet, but the church does have an attractive suite of alms houses in the same style next to it and a large C19 rectory on the opposite side of the road.
It is a small building constructed from banded stone and flint, with an entrance through the south porch, which supports an elegant spire. The style is lightly Norman and it was completed in 1860. Over the door is a piece of Norman sculpture, which might be of St. Kenelm, to whom the church is dedicated (one of only seven in the country), a boy saint who was murdered, aged only 7 years.
For many years the building acted as a chapel for the nearby Dumpton boys 'prep' school when it occupied Gaunts House before moving to Wimborne. The church is now redundant.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|St. Gabriel||Morecombelake||DT6 3BS||0|
|Chaldon 2||dt2 8dl||0|
|St John the Baptist||Hawkchurch||0|
|St. Michael (redundant)||Winterborne Anderson||0|
|Old Church||Compton Abbas||0|
|St. Kenelm||Stanbridge (Hinton Parva)||0|
|St Michael and St George||Lyme Regis||0|
|The Memorial Chapel||Kings Stag||0|
|The Hidden Chapel - St. Lukes||Abbotsbury||0|
|All Saints||Portland||DT5 1HG||3493|
|St. George||Portland||DT5 1BX||3493|
|St. Aldhem's Chapel||Worth Matravers||BH19 3LR||3494|
|St. Aldhem's Chapel||Worth Matravers||BH19 3LN||3494|
|St George||Langton Matravers||BH19 3HZ||3496|
|St. James||Kingston||BH20 5LL||3497|
|St. Nicholas||Kimmeridge||BH20 5PE||3497|