This a most attractive roadside church serving the village around it. The tower and nave are C15, although the nave was restored in 1864 by W. Slater. The chancel is 1300 in origin, but that too was altered and restored at the same time.
There is a Victorian carved stone reredos and a C15 octagonal font. The large memorial of 1815 commemorates the Daubeney and Herbert families. Note also Charles II's coat of arms dated 166, just one year after the Restoration - see also Trent.
Other Dorset churches by Slater are: Chetnole, Oborne (new church), Pentridge, Sherborne Abbey (in partnership with R.C.Carpenter).
|Church||Bishop's Caundle||DT9 5NL||0|
|St. Peter and St. Paul||Caundle Marsh||DT9 5LX||1|
|St Barnabas||Stock Gaylard||DT10 2BG||2|
|St.Peter||Stourton Caundle||DT10 2QH||2|
|St. Lawrence||Folke||DT9 5HP||2|
|St. Catherine||Haydon||DT9 5JB||2|
|St. Peter||Goathill||DT9 5JD||3|
|St Thomas a Beckett||Lydlinch||DT10 2JA||3|
|St. Peter||Purse Caundle||DT9 5DY||3|
|St. James||Longburton||DT9 5PF||3|
|Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary||Holnest||DT9 5PU||3|
|St. Mary the Virgin||Glanvilles Wootton||DT9 5QE||3|
|St Thomas Becket||Pulham||DT2 7EA||3|
|St Mary||Stalbridge||DT10 2LR||4|
|St. Cuthbert Old Chancel||Oborne||DT9 4JY||4|
|St. Cuthbert||Sherborne||DT9 4JY||4|
|St Martin of Tours||Lillington||DT9 6QX||4|
|The Blessed Virgin Mary||Sherborne||DT9 3BP||4|
|All Saints||Fifehead Neville||DT10 2AL||5|
|St. Mary||Hermitage||DT2 7BB||5|