St. Martin is perhaps the most important and complete Saxon church in Dorset. The original two-cell church must have been very similar to the textbook Saxon example found at Bradford-on-Avon. In the 12c the narrow north aisle was added, but had to wait until 15c to receive a window. The building is entered through a 16c south tower with saddleback roof. There is a magnificent chancel arch, flanked by squints and some wonderful wall painting of various dates. There is a plain octagonal 17c font.
As with so many of Dorset's churches, it had been allowed to reach a perilous state of dilapidation by the end of the 18c and was closed. It was not until 1935 that a decision was taken to save the church after nearly 200 years of neglect and it was re-dedicated by the bishop on 23rd November 1936.
The most important monument in the building is the recumbent effigy of T.E.Lawrence, who is buried in Moreton churchyard. This a superb representation in Purbeck stone of the enigmatic Lawrence of Arabia in full Arabian dress is by his friend, Eric Kennington.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|St. Martin||Wareham||BH20 4HE||0|
|Lady St.Mary||Wareham||BH20 4ND||2|
|Church||Lytchett Minster||BH16 6JE||3|
|St. John the Evangelist||East Holme||BH20 6AG||3|
|St Mary||Morden||BH20 7DW||4|
|St Mary the Virgin||Lytchett Matravers||BH16 6BS||4|
|St. Mary - Redundant (converted to a dwelling)||East Stoke||BH20 6AN||4|
|St. Andrew||Bloxworth||BH20 7EG||4|
|St. John||Creech||BH20 5DF||5|
|St. Peter||Church Knowle||BH20 5NF||5|
|St Mary's||Winterborne Zelston||DT11 9EU||5|
|Church of Saint Edward the Martyr||Corfe Castle||BH20 5EZ||5|
|St Mary||Almer||DT11 9EN||6|
|St. Hubert||Corfe Mullen||BH21 3RQ||6|
|St.Michael and All Angels||Steeple||BH20 5NY||6|
|St. John the Baptist||Bere Regis||BH20 7HQ||6|
|St.Mary||Brownsea (Poole Harbour)||BH13 7EE||6|
|St. Nicholas||Winterborne Kingston||DT11 9BJ||6|
|St. Mary||Sturminster Marshall||BH21 4BU||6|