The church of St. Nicholas stands next to a wonderful mellow 16c manor House.
This is a very old Christian site because the first known record of a building is from 1216 during the reign of Henry III (1207-72), who is regarded as one of the most cultured kings ever to have occupied the throne. There may even have been an earlier church suggested by some 13c work found the 14c chancel.
The present building consists of a 15c south porch, a nave of uncertain vintage, a 15c ten foot square west tower and a north aisle with a vestry at the western end, added during a major Victorian restoration of 1871 by Henry Hall. The south chapel is also 15c and is notable for its most attractive oak ceiling with moulded beams and square panels.
The round bowled font with continuous fluting is 13c. The elaborate cover is later.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|St. Nicholas||Sandford Orcas||DT9 4SB||0|
|St. Bartholomew||Corton Denham||DT9 4LR||1|
|All Saints||Poyntington||DT9 4LF||2|
|St. Andrew||Trent||DT9 4SL||3|
|St. Cuthbert||Sherborne||DT9 4JY||3|
|St. Cuthbert Old Chancel||Oborne||DT9 4JY||3|
|St. Nicholas||Nether Compton||DT9 4QA||3|
|The Blessed Virgin Mary||Sherborne||DT9 3BP||3|
|St. Michael||Over Compton||DT9 4QU||3|
|St. Peter||Goathill||DT9 5JD||4|
|St. Catherine||Haydon||DT9 5JB||4|
|St. Mary the Virgin||Bradford Abbas||DT9 6SP||5|
|St. Mary Magdalene||Thornford||DT9 6QF||5|
|St. Peter||Purse Caundle||DT9 5DY||5|
|St Martin of Tours||Lillington||DT9 6QX||5|
|St. Lawrence||Folke||DT9 5HP||5|
|St. James||Longburton||DT9 5PF||5|
|St. Michael||Beer Hackett||DT9 6QT||6|
|St. Peter and St. Paul||Caundle Marsh||DT9 5LX||6|
|St. George||Beer Hackett||DT9 6RA||6|