Resting in parkland among some really splendid mature trees with glimpses of the castle behind its magnificent C15 tower, this otherwise rather plain Victorian building has been invested with great charm.
There has been a church here for a long time and the list of known vicars stretches back to 1312.It has been rebuilt at least twice. As with many churches in the county, it had been allowed to decay to a ruinous state and by 1785 a faculty to rebuild most of it, together with an apsidal chancel, had been applied for. It is likely the design was by John Tasker, who was also responsible for the enchanting nearby Roman Catholic chapel - both buildings being funded by Thomas Weld.The second rebuild of 1864 is by John Hicks of Dorchester, who was responsible for more restorations in the county than any other architect working at the time.
Thomas Hardy, the author, was articled to him. Apart from the tower, he swept everything away, including the apse, and added a vestry. This was certainly radical surgery, but there is a curious and very pleasing harmony about the finished work.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|St. Andrew||East Lulworth,||BH20 5QS||0|
|St Mary||East Lulworth,||BH20 5QS||0|
|Holy Trinity||West Lulworth,||BH20 5RY||2|
|St. Mary - Redundant (converted to a dwelling)||East Stoke||BH20 6AN||3|
|St Christopher||Winfrith Newburgh,||DT2 8HB||3|
|St. John||Creech||BH20 5DF||4|
|St Michael and All Angels||Steeple,||BH20 5NY||4|
|St. John the Evangelist||East Holme,||BH20 6AG||4|
|test new church||Chaldon Herring||dt2 8dl||4|
|St Nicholas||Chaldon Herring||DT2 8DN||4|
|St. Nicholas of Myra||Kimmeridge,||BH20 5PE||4|
|St. Nicholas||Moreton||DT2 8RH||5|
|St. Peter||Church Knowle||BH20 5NF||5|
|Lady St Mary||Wareham||BH20 4ND||5|
|St Michael||Owermoigne||DT2 8HS||6|
|St. Catherine by the Sea||Holworth||DT2 8NQ||6|
|St. James||Kingston,||BH20 5LL||7|
|Saint Edward the Martyr||Corfe Castle,||BH20 5EZ||7|
|Holy Trinity||Warmwell||DT2 8HQ||7|