Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St Mary's Chapel Lulworth

 

Lulworth RC

The church, near the largely restored castle in a parkland setting, must be regarded as one of the really great treasures of Dorset.  It was built in 1786–7, to a design by John Tasker.  This exceptionally pleasing, but most unusual building, has its origins in the fact that it was the first Roman Catholic church to be built after the Reformation and since the religion was still almost illegal, Thomas Weld, the landowner, had to seek the permission of King George III.  The King gave his consent provided he built something that did not look like a church, hence this rather house-like structure.   After an inspection in 1789,  it received His Majesty's approval.

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St Mary's ChapelLulworthBH20 5QS0
St. AndrewLulworth EastBH20 5QS0
Holy TrinityWest LulworthBH20 5RY2
St. ChristopherWinfrith NewburghDT2 8HB3
St. Mary - Redundant (converted to a dwelling)East StokeBH20 6AN3
St. John the EvangelistEast HolmeBH20 6AG4
St. JohnCreechBH20 5DF4
St.Michael and All AngelsSteepleBH20 5NY4
St NicholasChaldon HerringDT2 8DN4
St. NicholasKimmeridgeBH20 5PE4
Moreton - under constructionMoretonDT2 8RH5
St. NicholasMoretonDT2 8RH5
Lady St.MaryWarehamBH20 4ND5
St. PeterChurch KnowleBH20 5NF5
St MichaelOwermoigneDT2 8HS6
St. Catherine by the SeaHolworthDT2 8NQ6
Holy TrinityWarmwellDT2 8HQ7
St. JamesKingstonBH20 5LL7
Church of Saint Edward the MartyrCorfe CastleBH20 5EZ7
St Aldhelm'sCrosswaysDT2 8WR7
Old Link