Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St. Mary Halstock

This is a very interesting country church built from local rubble.  The oldest part is the C15 tower with its five bells.  The nave is to the design of the celebrated Victorian architect, Augustus Pugin, and completed around 1845-6.  In 1872, further alterations were made to the chancel.  The chapel in the north aisle was given by the rector, Rev. Irving, in 1959 and dedicated to the Saxon saint St. Juthware.  The tradition is that she carried her head to the altar after being beheaded and is the inspiration for some of the Dorset 'Quiet Woman' pub signs.

The corbel stones are exceptionally plain for a Victorian build and it has been suggested that they were left like that in anticipation of decoration by a stone carver.  Perhaps the money ran out? 

 

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St. MaryHalstockBA22 9SG0
St. JamesEast Chelborough/LewcombeDT2 0QB2
St. AndrewWest ChelboroughDT2 0PY2
St. MaryCorscombeDT2 0NU2
St. OsmondMelbury OsmondDT2 0LZ2
St. MaryMelbury SampfordDT2 0LF3
St. HippolytusRyme IntrinsecaDT9 6JX3
St OsmondEvershotDT2 0JW3
St. EdwoldStockwoodDT2 0NG3
St AndrewsYetminsterDT9 6LG4
St Mary the VirginMelbury BubbDT2 0NQ4
St. PeterChetnoleDT9 6NZ4
St MarySouth PerrottDT8 3HZ4
St Michael & All AngelsRampishamDT2 0PT4
St. GeorgeBeer HackettDT9 6RA4
St. MichaelBeer HackettDT9 6QT4
St. Mary the VirginBradford AbbasDT9 6SP5
St. JohnToller WhelmeDT8 3NT5
St. Mary MagdaleneThornfordDT9 6QF5
St AndrewLeighDT9 6HL5
Old Link