Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St. Gabriel Morecombelake  

This simple chapel-style building that lies to the south of the main road in the village well-known for its Dorset knobs, gives no idea of the interesting things inside.  It was erected in 1841 largely at the expense of the incumbent of Whitchurch Canonicorum, in whose parish it rests.  The design is probably by T.H.Wyatt and Brandon.  It replaced the ancient 13c church at Stanton St. Gabriel, which had fallen into a ruinous state.  

The chancel screen is of particular interest because it was formed from what was left of the rood screen at Stanton St. Gabriel.  Note, the tub shaped Norman font, the new, most attractive, chiselled texts, picked out in red, in the porch and a most moving painting of Christ on fabric. There is a generous pulpit and the little organ at the rear of the building came from an obsolete Methodist chapel, for a nominal sum because "it would be used for the glory of God."

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St. GabrielMorecombelakeDT6 3BS0
Chaldon 2dt2 8dl0
Old ChurchFleet0
St John the BaptistHawkchurch 0
St. Michael (redundant)Winterborne Anderson0
St Andrew Preston0
Old ChurchCompton Abbas0
St. KenelmStanbridge (Hinton Parva)0
St Michael and St George Lyme Regis0
0
DeconsecratedFarrington0
The Memorial ChapelKings Stag0
The Hidden Chapel - St. LukesAbbotsbury0
All SaintsPortlandDT5 1HG3493
St. GeorgePortlandDT5 1BX3493
St. Aldhem's ChapelWorth MatraversBH19 3LR3494
St. Aldhem's ChapelWorth MatraversBH19 3LN3494
St GeorgeLangton MatraversBH19 3HZ3496
St. JamesKingstonBH20 5LL3497
St. NicholasKimmeridgeBH20 5PE3497
Old Link