Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

Church Knowlton

North of the Horton Inn and west of the Wimborne to Cranborne road lies an ancient circular neolithic henge earthwork (135 ft in diameter and 12 ft high).  In the middle, rests the remains of a little church, the only structure left from a once thriving village.  It is very possible the community was wiped out by the Black Death, but in any event the church itself was finally abandoned in C18.  (The Black Death, or Bubonic Plague, entered England at Melcombe Regis in 1348 and spread very rapidly, claiming between a third and half of the population. There was a second epidemic in 1361.)  The tower is C14 and the nave C12 with Norman doorways.  Its font is now in the Woodlands church.

There have been suggestions that the church may have been deliberately built in the middle of an ancient and probably sacred henge as a statement of the ascendancy of the (new) Christian religion.

 The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
ChurchKnowltonBH21 5AE0
Wimborne St. GilesWimborne Saint GilesBH21 5LZ1
All SaintsGussage All SaintsBH21 5HD2
St. WolfridaHortonBH21 7JA2
All SaintsChalburyBH21 7EY2
St. NicholasEdmondshamBH21 5RE2
St. Mary and St. BartholomewCranborneBH21 5PP3
St John the EvangelistHinton MartellBH21 7HE3
Gussage St MichaelWimborneBH21 5HT3
St. Michael and All AngelsVerwoodBH31 6DZ4
St. RumboldPentridgeSP5 5QX5
St MarySixpenny HandleySP5 5ND5
St. MaryChettleDT11 8DB5
St JamesAlderholtSP6 3DN5
All SaintsTarrant MonktonDT11 8RX5
St. JamesHoltBH21 7BJ5
St. MaryTarrant HintonDT11 8JB5
St. Michael and All AngelsColehillBH21 2RY6
St. MaryTarrant RawstonDT11 8SD6
St. MaryTarrant RushtonDT11 8SD6
Old Link