This is a small hamlet in Blackmore Vale country. The name probably derives from one of the Margarets who were C14 abbesses of the nunnery at nearby Shaftesbury, and 'Marsh' simply refers to the soggy land. The dedication to St. Margaret may refer to St. Margaret of Antioch, who was a popular saint in the medieval period with around 200 English churches bearing her name.
The church is almost entirely from the 1872-3 restoration by Crickmay, although the pleasing tower, with Somerset tracery on the bell-openings, is C15.
The church is locked.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|Margaret Marsh||Margaret Marsh||SP7 0AZ||0|
|St Luke||West Orchard||SP7 0LJ||1|
|St. Thomas||East Orchard||SP7 0LJ||1|
|All Saints||Stour Row||SP7 0QW||2|
|St. Andrew||Todber||DT10 1JD||2|
|St. Paul||Hammoon||DT10 2DB||3|
|St. Michaels & All Angel||Stour Provost||SP8 5RZ||3|
|St Gregory||Marnhull||DT10 1PZ||3|
|St. Peter||Hinton St. Mary||DT10 1NA||3|
|St Andrew's||Fontmell Magna||SP7 0NY||3|
|St Mary the Virgin||Compton Abbas||SP7 0NL||3|
|St. Mary Magdalene||Fifehead Magdalen||SP8 5RT||3|
|Christchurch||East Stour||SP8 5LP||3|
|St Bartholomew||Sutton Waldron||DT11 8PB||3|
|St. James||Shaftesbury||SP7 8HG||3|
|St. John Evangelist||Enmore Green||SP7 8QR||3|
|St. Mary||West Stour||SP8 5RL||4|
|St. Peter||Shaftesbury||SP7 8LY||4|
|St. Mary||Sturminster Newton||DT10 1DE||4|
|St. Nicholas||Child Okeford||DT11 8ED||4|