This interesting church, described by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner as "rather Home Counties with tilled roofs", is brilliantly sited to take advantage of its high commanding position. At 250 feet above sea level, the views are wonderful.
Prior to the building of the present church, the vicar of Beaminster and Netherbury, the Reverend William Bookland BA, built a chapel of ease at Coles Ash, which opened in 1842. Although called a chapel of ease, the new building was only a licensed room for divine services. This meant that funerals and weddings had to be conducted at Netherbury. The chapel doubled during the week as a schoolroom and the arrangement continued until the opening of Holy Trinity and it remains part of the school to this day.
The foundation stone for the new church was laid by a Mrs. Reeves on 5th August 1887 and the church was consecrated on 17th January 1890. The church is in the early English style by architects Crickmay of Weymouth.
The organ is by The Sweetland Organ Co. of Bath and cost £125.00. It was pumped by hand for 47 years, until 1951 when it was electrified. Electric light was installed in 1947.
The chancel stained glass is of 1895
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|Holy Trinity||Salway Ash||DT6 5JE||0|
|St. Paul||Broadoak||DT6 5PY||1|
|St. Mary||Netherbury||DT6 5LR||1|
|St Mary||Stoke Abbott||DT8 3JT||2|
|Holy Trinity||Bradpole||DT6 3EP||3|
|St. John the Baptist||Symondsbury||DT6 6HB||3|
|St. Mary||Beaminster||DT8 3BA||3|
|St. Swithun||Bridport||DT6 5DU||3|
|St Mary||Pilsdon||DT6 5NZ||3|
|St. Mary Magdalene||Loders||DT6 3RZ||3|
|St. Saviour||Dottery||DT6 3NN||3|
|St.Mary's Church||Bridport||DT6 3NN||3|
|All Saints||Mapperton||DT8 3NR||3|
|Queen of Martyrs & St Ignatius' Church||Chideock||DT6 6LF||3|
|The Navity of John the Baptist||Broadwindsor||DT8 3QE||3|
|St. Mary the Virgin||Walditch||DT6 4LB||3|
|Holy Trinity New||Bothenhampton||DT6 4BH||4|
|St. Giles||Chideock||DT6 6LE||4|
|Methodist Chapel||Bridport||DT6 4NT||4|