There was once a Norman church here, but all that is left is large arcading high up on the the south wall of the north aisle. However, the present building dates mainly from the 16c, although there is a 15c tower. It was rebuilt and enlarged by T. H. Wyatt 1844-5. The extensive stencilled lettering in the chancel shows the influence of the Oxford Movement and was carried out about fifty years later. The little 16c windows above the chancel arch bear the coats of arms of King Henry VIII and those of two of his wives, Katherine Howard and Katherine Parr.
A memorial inside commemorates Thomas Wedgewood, the son of Josiah (of pottery fame), who is credited with the invention of photography, although he was unable to find a means of 'fixing' his pictures.
Note, the family pew.
|St. Mary||Tarrant Gunville||DT11 8JN||0|
|St. Mary||Tarrant Hinton||DT11 8JB||1|
|St. Mary||Chettle||DT11 8DB||2|
|St. Peter||Pimperne||DT11 8UB||2|
|All Saints||Tarrant Monkton||DT11 8RX||3|
|St. Nicholas||Ashmore||SP5 5AE||3|
|Gussage St Michael||Wimborne||BH21 5HT||4|
|St. Mary||Iwerne Minster||DT11 8LS||4|
|St. Mary||Shroton||DT11 8PU||4|
|St. Mary||Iwerne Courtney||DT11 8PU||4|
|St. Mary||Tarrant Rushton||DT11 8SD||4|
|St Bartholomew||Sutton Waldron||DT11 8PB||4|
|St. Mary||Tarrant Rawston||DT11 8SD||4|
|Our Lady of Lourdes & St Cecilia||Blandford Forum||DT11 7BN||4|
|Holy Trinity||Stourpaine||DT11 8TQ||5|
|All Saints||Langton Long||DT11 9HS||5|
|St Andrew's||Fontmell Magna||SP7 0NY||5|
|St. Peter and St. Paul||Blandford Forum||DT11 7AF||5|
|All Saints||Gussage All Saints||BH21 5HD||5|
|St. Martin||Bryanston||DT11 0PX||5|