Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St. Nicholas Moreton

The little church is built on raised ground within sight of its sponsor's mansion house and some distance from the village.  It was built in 1776 to replace a medieval predecessor on the same site.  The style is Georgian Gothic and it was erected for James Frampton, who had completed his house in 1774.  The design is exciting and the whole is a bright and cheerful place, even on a wet and dismal day.

A north aisle was added in 1841 and the west porch followed in 1848. The gaily painted font, placed in the centre of the rib-vaulted nave, was made in 1845.  Unfortunately, the pulpit and benches had to wait until 1850 and their design reflects a later and more ponderous Victorian approach.  There are splendid candelabra, both hanging from the ceiling and reaching up from the pews, which also have an intriguing leaf decoration.  The reredos and Communion Table are elaborate and brightly painted.

In May 1940, a stray German bomb demolished the apse and smashed every window in the building.  Much later, in 1955 after the structure had long been repaired, the brilliantly inspired decision was taken to instruct Sir Lawrence Whistler to create engraved glass windows, initially just for the apse.  However, over a period of thirty years, all the windows would receive Whistler engravings, making this church unique in the world.  Unlike stained glass, engravings let light stream into the building, thus almost magically allowing the inside to resonate with the outside setting.

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St. NicholasMoretonDT2 8RH0
Moreton - under constructionMoretonDT2 8RH0
St Aldhelm'sCrosswaysDT2 8WR2
St. John the EvangelistTincletonDT2 8QR2
St LaurenceAffpuddleDT2 7HH3
St LaurenceAffpuddleDT2 7HH3
St. ChristopherWinfrith NewburghDT2 8HB3
St MichaelOwermoigneDT2 8HS3
St. John the EvangelistTolpuddleDT2 7EW3
St. Edward King and MartyrAthelhamptonDT2 7LG4
Holy TrinityWarmwellDT2 8HQ4
St NicholasChaldon HerringDT2 8DN4
St.MaryPuddletownDT2 8SN4
St. John the BaptistBere RegisBH20 7HQ4
St. Mary - Redundant (converted to a dwelling)East StokeBH20 6AN4
St. PeterWest KnightonDT2 8PF5
St. AndrewWest StaffordDT2 8AD5
St. AndrewWest StaffordDT2 8AD5
St. MartinBroadmayneDT2 8EB5
St. AndrewMilborne Saint AndrewDT11 0JR5
Old Link