The little church lies at the base of Bubb Down next to a splendid 17c manor house and a scattering of other dwellings in this remote, but very beautiful, part of Dorset.
By far the most important artefact inside is the Saxon font, which suggests that there may well have a very early church on this site. The decoration is an interesting bestiary with four large animals, including a stag biting a serpent, whose coils entwine the feet of other animals and the whole thing is upside-down! It was almost certainly the base of an Anglo-Saxon carved cross and was probably hollowed out by the Normans.
If there was a very early church here, nothing now remains prior to 1474 when it was rebuilt. In 1854, the Victorians completely restored the building, leaving only the tower from the earlier structure and re-using some of the stained glass. At night, it is illuminated with oil lights and the heating is provided by a solid fuel stove. Musical accompaniment is provided by a harmonium.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
|St Mary the Virgin||Melbury Bubb||DT2 0NQ||0|
|St. Edwold||Stockwood||DT2 0NG||1|
|St. Peter||Chetnole||DT9 6NZ||1|
|St. Mary||Melbury Sampford||DT2 0LF||1|
|St. Mary||Batcombe||DT2 7BG||2|
|St. Osmond||Melbury Osmond||DT2 0LZ||2|
|St Andrew||Leigh||DT9 6HL||2|
|St Osmond||Evershot||DT2 0JW||2|
|St. James||East Chelborough/Lewcombe||DT2 0QB||2|
|St Nicholas||Hillfield||DT2 7BA||2|
|St Andrews||Yetminster||DT9 6LG||3|
|St. Quintin||Frome Saint Quintin||DT2 0HF||3|
|St. Hippolytus||Ryme Intrinseca||DT9 6JX||3|
|St. George||Beer Hackett||DT9 6RA||3|
|St. Michael||Beer Hackett||DT9 6QT||3|
|St Michael & All Angels||Rampisham||DT2 0PT||3|
|St. Mary||Hermitage||DT2 7BB||3|
|St. Andrew||West Chelborough||DT2 0PY||3|
|St. Mary||Halstock||BA22 9SG||4|
|St. Andrew||Minterne Magna||DT2 7AZ||4|