Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St Stephen Bettiscombe

This is a most attractive setting for a rural church, tucked in under Pilsdon Pen with Marshwood Vale laid out below.  There are just a scattering of houses with the old rectory next door.  Certainly not a village, more a hamlet.   The tower is medieval, but the rest is the result of a sensitive restoration by John Hicks of Dorchester.  The work, which was completed in 1862 included re-using some of the original windows.  

The stone pulpit is Victorian.  The font is also Victorian and carved by Benjamin Grassby, whose exquisite work can be found in many of Dorset's restorations of the period. (see Long Bredy and North Poorton)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St StephenBettiscombeDT6 5NT0
St MaryPilsdonDT6 5NZ1
St. MaryMarshwoodDT6 5QA1
Holy TrinityBlackdownDT8 3LE2
St. JohnFishpondDT6 6NN2
St. AndrewBurstockDT8 3LJ2
St Candida and Holy CrossWhitchurch CanonicorumDT6 6RQ2
St. Mary the VirginThorncombeTA20 4NF3
The Navity of John the BaptistBroadwindsorDT8 3QE3
St. PaulBroadoakDT6 5PY3
St. MaryDrimptonDT8 3RE3
St MaryStoke AbbottDT8 3JT3
St. MaryCatherston LewestonDT6 6LZ4
Holy TrinitySalway AshDT6 5JE4
Queen of Martyrs & St Ignatius' ChurchChideockDT6 6LF4
Forde AbbeyChardTA20 4LU4
St. JohnSeaboroughDT8 3QY4
St. MaryNetherburyDT6 5LR4
St. AndrewMonkton WyldDT6 6DA4
St. AndrewCharmouthDT6 6LN4
Old Link