Home Churches Ride + Stride Grants Friends News Cards Music Events About Us

St Nicholas Chaldon Herring

This is an interesting and attractive church in a delightful little village.  The unusual name is probably derived from the old English 'Calvedon', which means "the hill where calves are pastured" and the C12 manorial family 'Harang' whose family crest includes herrings.  This family also gave their name to Herrison, Langton Herring and Winterborne Herringston.

Originally, there was also a church at Chaldon Boys, but its closeness persuaded the Bishop to amalgamate the two parishes under one Curate in 1446.  The exact C12 origins of the present building appear to be obscure, however it is certain that the north wall and tower belong to the C14, although the tower was not completed until the C15.  As usual, the Victorians could not resist a major rebuild and G.R.Crickmay of Weymouth was retained to design and oversee the work in 1878.  It is to his great credit that the alterations were done with such sensitivity that it was possible to incorporate the genuine medieval windows and arches in the final structure.

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

 

Grants

This Church has no grants

Churches Nearby

Ref Title Town Postcode Distance
St NicholasChaldon HerringDT2 8DN0
St. ChristopherWinfrith NewburghDT2 8HB1
St MichaelOwermoigneDT2 8HS2
St. Catherine by the SeaHolworthDT2 8NQ2
Holy TrinityWest LulworthBH20 5RY2
Holy TrinityWarmwellDT2 8HQ3
St Mary's ChapelLulworthBH20 5QS4
St Aldhelm'sCrosswaysDT2 8WR4
St. NicholasMoretonDT2 8RH4
St. AndrewLulworth EastBH20 5QS4
Moreton - under constructionMoretonDT2 8RH4
St. OsmundOsmingtonDT3 6EL4
St. MartinBroadmayneDT2 8EB4
St. PeterWest KnightonDT2 8PF5
St. John the EvangelistTincletonDT2 8QR5
The ChurchWhitcombeDT2 8NY6
St. Mary - Redundant (converted to a dwelling)East StokeBH20 6AN6
St. AndrewWest StaffordDT2 8AD6
St. AndrewWest StaffordDT2 8AD6
St. PeterWinterborne CameDT2 8NT6
Old Link