Winterborne Clenston

Postcode for SatNavDT11 0NY
O.S. Landranger Map reference194-840028

St. Nicholas

This is an exceptionally attractive Victorian estate church that sits by itself away from the hamlet that it serves. It is approached across a stream and car parking is in a field.  It was rebuilt in 1840 by Lewis Vulliamy, who also designed the Union Workhouse at Sturminster Newton (1838), in banded flint and stone.  Inside is relatively simple although the diminutive chancel has a painted ceiling and altar rails on three sides.  Note, the exceptionally slim font and the memorials to the five sons from one family who were killed in the First World War.

 

 

Search by Village Name