Chilfrome is a delightful little hamlet set amidst water meadows. There is no intrusion by modern buildings, almost as if all development ceased in 19c.
In the chancel arch of the little church there is evidence of an earlier building of 13c, but nothing else remains in this Victorian rebuild of 1852. Inside it is a pleasing composition with a stone pulpit, accessed through the chancel arch and corbels sculpted into angels by the eminent Dorset craftsman Benjamin Grassby, who was responsible for some of the very best work in the county.*
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©